My Education
My Weekends
My Religion
My Information
My Guilty Pleasure
My Role Model
 
For Your Eyes
For Your Ears
For Your Palate
For Your Touch
For Your Gag Reflex
For The Love of God
 
 

Friday, September 05, 2003

I've completed my first (truncated) week of class. I say this becuase we had monday off due to AFL-CIO day, and today I skipped my last two classes in honor of getting Chik-Fil-A and a U of Maryland pint glass with Sean. So really: So completes three days of class, but to be honest, I can tell exactly where the entire semester is going from these first few sessions:

Law and Constitutionalism in American History
This class is looking to be one of the most interesting classes I have, with one minor (huge) problem: everyone taking it with me is a sorostitute and/or idiot. Normally, I'm inclined to give people the benefit of the doubt - being a somewhat slow individual myself, I'm duty bound to assume that not everyone is as bad as they appear, so I need to qualify: Today, when asked if anyone knew what Shay's rebellion was, with a straight face, one girl answered, "That's where people dressed up like Injuns and dumped out a bunch of Tea in to the Atlantic, right?"
Up sides: Plenty of sophomores to "tutor," get every other friday off.
Down sides: Professor takes issue with math major in his class, not in a mood to deal with people when hung over at 10 AM.
Rating (out of 5): 3.5

Euclidean and Non-Euclidean Geometries
Perfect blend - a challenging class which many "challenged" individuals see fit to take. The class is 10% serious math majors, 90% Secondary Education track math majors. This means it will move at an acceptable pace and explore what are very interesting ideas and theories, however the curve on the tests and projects is going to be bigger than those on many of the aforementioned future teachers.
Up sides: The people are not the usual math crowd, can slack off if I need to.
Down sides: Still a math class invoking my tendency to feel as if the entire enterprise is useless.
Rating (out of 5): 2.5

Logical Theory II
The first three weeks is covering innumerability and basic set theory, as well as some first-order logic. I have taken both of those subjects in no fewer than seven different courses. So I am not going for the first ten class meetings. Also taught by my favorite professor, which is naturally a plus. Later going over the types of things I need a deeper understanding of to really have a rational hatred of math as a discipline. Always makes it easier to take a class if I have an axe to grind.
Up sides:Interesting material, I can afford to miss it (which is good since I will miss almost every friday).
Down sides:Six people in the class with two who will probably drop. Composing 25% of a class is a burdon.
Rating (out of 5): 4

Ethical Theory
Oh my god, where to begin? This class is covering a number of philosophers who I have read, but also dislike to a degree which is almost certainly unwarrented. I am convinced that Hume is pretty close to the antichrist, and Kant is the master of fake rigor. At least we're not reading Hobbes. The class is okay, though there are a couple people who just talk to hear the sound of their own voices. At least I am taking it with people I know.
Up sides: I can spend most of the classes drawing frogs in the margins of my notebook.
Down sides: I spend most of the classes drawing frogs...
Rating (out of 5): 3

Advanced Composition: Pre-Law
"Does anyone know what the constitution is?" This is an ACTUAL quote from the second day of class. It was followed by an explication of each of the first three articles' purpose, and the revelation that there are three branches of government. I was under the vague impression that there would be writing in this writing course. This impression appears to have been faulty.
Up sides: Cool professor, even if her grading policy does appear to be... crazy.
Down sides: "Okay, does anyone know what statutory law is?"
Rating (out of 5) 2

cranked out at 2:48 PM | |

 
template © elementopia 2003
Chicken and/or Waffles
 
Be Objective
Be Qualitative
Be Mindless
Be Heartless
Be Confused
Be Aware
 
Gawker
The Lounge
Appellate Blog