My Education
My Weekends
My Religion
My Information
My Guilty Pleasure
My Role Model
 
For Your Eyes
For Your Ears
For Your Palate
For Your Touch
For Your Gag Reflex
For The Love of God
 
 

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Red Sox

Many people assess the importance of events on criteria like: how many people does this affect? How rare is this event? How likely is it to benefit hunmanity? I have a much simpler, and in my mind, better, rubric which goes like this: How aggrivated am I going to be seeing and hearing about this every nine seconds for the next month?

So, on a scale of one to something I give a shit about, the Red Sox being in the World Series is ranking somewhere in the basement.

Let's make this very simple: The Red Sox were the analyst's favorites to get to the World Series. They were the prohibitive favorite in the ALCS, suffering only a slight setback when Schilling's ankle turned out to be hamburger in Game 1. They have a better pitching staff, generally speaking a more consistent offense, and the second highest payroll in baseball. So, with all of the "Wow, they came back from three games down!" talk, remember that you're cheering that the favorites won.

You may be wondering at this point why I am writing about something if I don't want to hear about it. The answer, sir, is that I am a hypocrite.

Here's what I don't understand about Red Sox fans. You have a team who, becuase of choking and bad management and stupid decisions by your owner, has been kept out of the World Series. Trivia: What is the best job in baseball? Answer: Red Sox GM. You're like the shamen in a small Amazonian villiage who, every time something goes wrong, convinces the people that it's not that you told them to give you all their valuables, it's that the gods are mad. "We lost? Oh... it's the curse!"

It's not as if they're a bad team. And that seems to be the key to the whole thing. Red Sox fans who came to the team as a matter of choice, rather than being born into the whole thing, take them becuase they're a good team. Because you know they'll be playing in October, and the fans can go into a big self-pitying "CURSED" thing when they inevitably lose. Only this year, they didn't choke. It's not that they made some heroic effort - they simply choked for a while, then stopped choking and won. It's like betting on the 3:1 favorite in a horse race rather than the 2:1, and then acting as if you have great insight when the horse comes in.

The thing I find really baffling is the whole hatred of the Yankees. Why? Becuase they have a huge payroll? Oh, wait. Becuase they try to buy championships? Oh, wait. Somehow, Boston fans hate the Yankees an enormous amount for doing what they try to do, but better.

And now I'm going to have to hear about it for the next month every time I try to read about something that's actually interesting on ESPN.

I hate the Red Sox.

cranked out at 11:13 AM | |

 
template © elementopia 2003
Chicken and/or Waffles
 
Be Objective
Be Qualitative
Be Mindless
Be Heartless
Be Confused
Be Aware
 
Gawker
The Lounge
Appellate Blog