My Education
My Weekends
My Religion
My Information
My Guilty Pleasure
My Role Model
 
For Your Eyes
For Your Ears
For Your Palate
For Your Touch
For Your Gag Reflex
For The Love of God
 
 

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Antonio Davis is a Dinosaur. Maybe.



If you haven't heard yet (trust me, you have), during overtime of the Knicks/Bulls game last night a player named Antonio Daniels inexplicably charged into the stands. By 'inexplicably' I mean of course that, at the time, it seemed inexplicable, but has since been expliced. Or explained:
"I witnessed my wife being threatened by a man that I learned later to be intoxicated," Davis said in a statement issued after the game. "I saw him touch her, and I know I should not have acted the way I did, but I would have felt terrible if I didn't react. There was no time to call security. It happened too quickly"


Deadspin has two other takes on what happened, ranging from 'the guy was definitely assaulting her' to 'she started shit with him, and he grabbed her finger.' But what's important here is that he absolutely should not be suspended under any circumstances. ESPN's Chris Sheridan is reporting that it's likely he'll be forced to serve an eight game suspension (totaling just over $1m in lost pay). Why? Because he crossed the magic, invisible line that is supposed to separate fans from the court.

You know what? Fuck that. I'm sick of fans acting like jerks and getting away with it, in seats close to the court. If you're going to be aggrivating at a professional game (trust me, I am), get the cheap seats. Those guys that started the Artest brawl? They totally deserved to get hit. Artest, Jackson and O'Neil were just doing the job that security at the Palace should have: busting the heads of morons who would throw a beer on a player. If you were in a bar, and a well-muscled, 6'9" athlete was standing there, and you threw a beer on him and he beat the righteous crap out of you - you know what would happen? People would applaud. Because you would deserve it. So the fact that the person is wearing a jersey does not make it justified.

Last year, during the MLB regular season there was an incident where fan grabbed a Yankee outfielder while he was going for a ball. He totally should have decked the guy. Same situation. Don't grab someone, you won't get hit.

But this is the best example. Even if the lady was all up in his grill, drunk and obnoxious, security should have been on this. The latter account ('the guy was nice, the woman was crazy') seems suspect because it says that security was called and aware of the situation, and took no action. So Davis was just stepping in to stop his wife after security had failed to keep an eye on the situation. Man was protecting his girl. Respect that, David.

cranked out at 3:12 PM | |

 
template © elementopia 2003
Chicken and/or Waffles
 
Be Objective
Be Qualitative
Be Mindless
Be Heartless
Be Confused
Be Aware
 
Gawker
The Lounge
Appellate Blog