My Education
My Weekends
My Religion
My Information
My Guilty Pleasure
My Role Model
 
For Your Eyes
For Your Ears
For Your Palate
For Your Touch
For Your Gag Reflex
For The Love of God
 
 

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

I'm Shocked to Find Gambling in this Establishment



100 los... I mean, teens are rallying in Des Moines in support of a bill that would force adults to register in order to buy kegs. The reasoning is, kegs are commonly used at parties where underage drinking may occur; this would allow the police to track the individual who was providing the alcohol and, I suppose, punish him.

I love laws that try to regulate behaviors that are going to occur anyway, and do so in a way that will exacerbate the harm of those behaviors. They're my favorite type, ever. For example, let's say you're going to throw a party, and this law is in effect. Having a keg is risky, since they can track it - so instead of having the mass consumption of beer, a relatively low-risk drink (since it's mostly water, and more filling than hard alcohol), you have jungle juice (Everclear and Kool-Aid) which kids are significantly more likely to get sick from. And that's even assuming you can enforce the law. All it will let anyone prove is that there was a keg at a party where there was underage drinking. It won't do anything in the direction of saying that the underage kids got anything from the keg - and if the rule is just that drinking has occurred in a house controlled by someone, then this doesn't do much there, either.

But also - these kids. What the fuck. Where do you get 100 kids who are so holier-than-thou to actually hold a rally to support a law so obviously unpopular among their age group? If I lived in Iowa, I would hold a kegger with at least 100 people in protest.

cranked out at 6:49 AM | |

 
template © elementopia 2003
Chicken and/or Waffles
 
Be Objective
Be Qualitative
Be Mindless
Be Heartless
Be Confused
Be Aware
 
Gawker
The Lounge
Appellate Blog